The Nikon D5500 has an improved grip and new touch screen controls as an improvement over the older D5300. With so many great options in this price range, can the Nikon D5500 set itself apart from the mid-level camera pack?
Nikon DSLR camera D5500 incorporates a touchscreen LCD monitor, giving you greater camera control. The D5500 features a 24.2 megapixel sensor and an EXPEED 4 image processor that provide high-resolution images and Full HD 1080p video with notable low-light sensitivity up to ISO 25600 and up to 5 fps. A optical low-pass filter is left off the sensor, allowing for additional sharpness in both photos and videos. The new Nikon D5500 has a 39-point autofocus system with nine cross-type sensors and a 2,016-pixel RGB sensor for precise exposure metering in a wide variety of lighting conditions. Full HD videos can be shot at multiple frame rates up to 60 fps, with full-time continuous auto focusing capabilities. It also has a built-in intervalometer to record up to 9,999 consecutive exposures at variable intervals.
The Nikon D5500 also includes built-in Wi-Fi functionality, allowing photographers to control the camera remotely using a smart device.
D-Movie mode allows photographers to record Full HD movies on the Nikon D5500 at frame rates up to 50p/60p.
Other key features of the Nikon D5500 include:
• monocoque design structure and a deep grip. Approx. 124×97×70 mm, this camera weighs just 420 g (without battery and memory card)
• Improved contrast-detect AF: 20% faster than the D5300 when shooting in Live View
• Full HD movies: at 1080/50/60p and Full HD/60p output supported
• Picture Control 2.0: invaluable tools for shooting photos and movies just the way you want. Includes the new Flat setting for maximum dynamic range
• Built-in stereo microphone: and compatibility with Nikon’s ME-1 Stereo Microphone
• Viewfinder: approx. 95% frame coverage with approx. 0.82x magnification
• 10 special effects for still images and movies
• 16 Scene Modes
• Creative tools: retouch menu, bracketing functions, HDR photography, interval timer shooting, vignette control
• Expandable system: Compatible with the full range of NIKKOR DX-format lenses and specific Nikon Speedlights
• Compatible with the WR-R10/WR-T10 Wireless Remote Controllers