If you want a cheap DVD player that will play just about any format this might be the one for you.
I have quit a few DVD players around the house including the famous Philips DVP642. The DVP3040 will do everything the DVP642 will but better and around $20 cheaper.
I like it’s ability to play almost all forms of Divx, Xvid and other AVI format video files.
The video quality on this player can compete with most players in the $120 range but can be bought for under $50. One of my favorite changes with most of Philips’ new players is their new remotes. They have made them a bit more user friendly with a better button layout. The button functions just seam to be more where you would expect them.
One great feature is the ability to make it region free with a simple hack. So if you like to buy alot of international movies you will be able to buy from any country and your movie will play.
To make Region Free simply open the tray. Press 99990 on the remote control and your DVP304 is now region free.
One small negative for some people is the lack of a S-Video output. I does however have composite and the higher resolution component outputs.
The Bottom Line: For the price the pros outweigh the cons. Highly recommended!
* Progressive-scan component video outputs deliver extraordinarily colorful images to compatible TVs and virtually eliminate dot crawl and flicker
* Progressive Scan Video output that creates a picture in a single sweep of the screen, unlike the traditional interlaced output, which uses two sequential, “interlaced” sweeps at a slower speed to create an image. Because it displays twice the frames per second, progressive-scan video is clearer and more film-like, with less visible flicker than apparent with interlaced video. A high-definition TV (HDTV) is required to detect the most noticeable difference between progressive-scan and interlaced video output.
* 108MHz, 12-bit video digital-to-analog (D/A) conversion
* 192kHz, 24-bit audio digital-to-analog (D/A) conversion
* Video upsampling technology decreases distortion for improved picture quality
* Flip photos, rotate, slideshow and zoom play functions
* Outputs: analog audio, component video, composite video and coaxial digital audio
* Parental controls and child lock prevent your child from being exposed to undesirable material
* Trilingual on-screen display allows you to choose from English, French and Spanish
* Standard remote included
* Plays DVD, DVD+R/RW, DVD-R/RW, CD, CD-R/RW, SVCD, DivX, MPEG-1, MPEG-2, JPEG, WMA and MP3 formats
Philips DVP3040 Great audio and video performance
* Progressive Scan for razor-sharp and flicker free images
* 192kHz/24-bit audio DAC delivers high-quality audio
Philips DVP3040 Plays it all
* Movies: DVD, DVD+R/RW, DVD-R/RW, (S)VCD, DivX, XVid
* Music: CD, MP3-CD, CD-R/RW & Windows Mediaâ„¢ Audio
* Photos: Picture CD (JPEG)